Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Why I'm Not Going to Chick-fil-A Today

So at first I wasn't all on board with the Chick-fil-A boycott. I'm not sure if I'm ready to say I'm formally boycotting them. That sounds so official and I am pretty lazy and participating in anything official freaks me out.

And I'm not sure how long I can hold out on going- especially with all the God damned Chick-fil-A articles, ads and posters all over the internet and Facebook. Everywhere you look they're talking about Chick-fil-A.

Derogatory or not, reading them makes me want chicken sandwiches.

But, I certainly won't participate in a Support Chick-fil-A Day just because everyone else is doing it.

Who cares what Dan Cathy said about them believing in family values and the traditional marriage arrangement. They are entitled as humans to have their own opinion as is everyone else.

A little background in case you haven't heard: During an interview with the Baptist Press, Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy addresses what the publication describes as his franchise's "support of the traditional family."

"We are very much supportive of the family- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that- we know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles." Dan Cathy read the entire interview here

I may not agree or see things the same way, but it's his opinion, so whatever.

They don't refuse to serve same sex couples, unwed mothers, single moms or dads. I'm willing to bet they even employ same sex couples, unwed mothers and single moms and dads. All non "traditional" and certainly not biblical.

So I could easily overlook his personal views and the views of others in the company and go to town on the business end of a chicken sandwich with extra pickles.

But what stopped me is Chick-fil-A's affiliation to anti-gay groups and their endorsement of them by donations. read about it here

Fine. Maybe some of those groups have other redeeming qualities and deserve support. But the negative qualities and anti-gay propaganda they do particiape in, in my opinion, outweighs the good and makes me pause to think about supporting them or not.

Imagine if Major Corporation X donated to a White Supremacist Organization. 

Maybe this White Supremacist Organization also did good things in the community like planted trees, built homes for homeless white people and renovated white churches- but they also sometimes spread just a little hate and intolerance about non white people and how if you're not white you should have no rights or be dead...I'm sure that would be fine.



OK- so maybe I'm being overly dramatic in my analogy. But when true equality is at stake, I like to pull out all the stops.

I know what you're thinking- corporations can donate their money where they see fit. That may be true...

Just as I'm free to spend my money where I see fit.

And that's why I won't be going to Chick-fil-A on Support Chick-fil-A Day. 

Also, I won't be going until Brad and Angelina tell me it's OK because they are the supreme authority on all things controversial and where I get all of my political advice. read this Plus, they prefer McDonald's see





No comments:

Post a Comment